Tuesday, May 3, 2011

nothing like sleeping in one's own bed...

I am back home, and I am extremely happy to be here!  The trip back wasn't as long as the trip out, thank goodness.  The only snag I hit was when the airlines didn't want to let Brownie on the plane because her kennel was too big for their little puddle jumper we were about to board.  I argued that we flew in on a similar sized airplane (albeit a different airline).  They conceded and made an exception.  The night before i was panicked because it was supposed to be 24 degrees that morning- too cold for Brownie to fly.  So I was surprised about the size restriction.  If they hadn't let her board- I WOULD HAVE DIED.  Not to sound dramatic, but I really would have passed out on the floor right there.  It was so much work just to get her "safe for flight" so we could get her back into the country of Japan.

The first flight we flew to Denver- an hour long flight.  It was not so bad.  Luckily, we had an hour to find our next gate- because Denver is HUGE.  Our next gate felt like it was a mile away (which would fit the whole "mile high city" theme.  I think we got on at least 5 walking sidewalks.  The flight to Seattle was MISERABLE.  Brother sat in the middle and he proceeded to elbow me the entire flight.  It didn't help that we were in the back and everyone was lined up to use the bathroom.  The flight attendant kept squeezing by, which meant his butt swept my beverage tray each time.  Brother was getting irritated with Sister, and I was irritated with him.

In Seattle we had 3 hours to hang out before our flight to Tokyo.  By that time I literally wanted to  punch my son.  I know.  That sounds AWFUL.  But you have to understand we were all sleep deprived and Brother is not very fun when he has no sleep.  In fact, he usually does his best to make sure everyone else is as miserable as he.  He is pretty skillful at that unfortunately.  So he antagonized his sister every time he thought I wasn't looking.  Good thing we were in public.  I am just saying.

Being in SeaTac International Airport was bittersweet for us.  We have so many friends in the PNW (Pacific Northwest).  I wish we could have been able to see stay a day or two and see everyone.  So I just posted to Facebook that I was waving at everyone.

Changing planes when your dog is flying in the cargo hold is a bit on the terrifying side.  There are so many things that could go wrong- namely your dog could be put on the wrong plane and sent to Timbuktu.  And since we were flying a million miles to Japan, that makes it all the more complicated.  I mean, they lose luggage all of the time, right?  Before the plane takes off, an airline attendant is supposed to bring you a little slip of paper the baggage handlers filled out to let you know your dog is on board.  We watched her being loaded onto the first two flights, but forgot to look for her on the last.  I did verify that she was waiting to be loaded, but that was one hour before our boarding time.  Usually I will ask the attendants once I get on the plane to let me know if our dog was on board- if I didn't hear from them first.  On our last flight that day, I totally forgot.  That is, until the plane was taking off- and the attendants were all buckled down in their seats.  Talk about a moment of sheer panic.  And of course it was the LONGEST take off EVER.  Ever.

There is a happy ending of course- she was on board.  *big giant sigh of relief*

Brother fell asleep right away (he had an empty seat next to him), I enjoyed two small bottles of red wine, and  watched Gullivers Travels with Sissy.  It was an extremely long flight- but it was 100% better flying commercial than on the Patriot Express (military "airliner" we flew to Japan on when we first got here in 2009.)

The best part?- besides seeing my honey once again?  We didn't have to ride the "prison bus" home!  The base has a lovely tour bus they use to shuttle us back and forth to Narita airport.  They normally do not allow animals.  But with the evacuation- they decided to bend the rules (God Bless them for that.)  That meant they brought out the white "prison bus" to put our big dog kennel on.  They can't go underneath the bus, and they cannot be let loose on the bus.  So we had to set our kennel on the back seat.  The normal tour bus they use doesn't accomadate the big kennels, so they brought out the white buses that are used for shorter trips.  I was very appreciative of them for this, I really was.  But it was a cold and uncomfortable ride to the airport.  I was not looking forward to riding on it again (that and waiting an hour or so to even leave.)

My honey rented a van and picked us up.  That was the best present I have had all year.  And now we are all home again.  I didn't realize how MUCH I missed my home and missed Japan.  It is like being given a second chance, there is so much I want to do and see.  Now if I could just kick this jet lag in the butt, I can get started on that!

Lastly- here are a few random pictures I took on my iPhone of our trip there and back.  Mostly it is our trip TO the States.  They are totally out of order too, sorry...

"airplane food"- Sissy's lunch at one of the restaurants in Narita

Poor Brownie still locked up in her kennel at LAX- we were trying to find the dog park so we could let her out.

"Dog Park" at LAX- just what we needed!  Poor Brownie was so thirsty- she drank for days.  (She did have water in her kennel, in case you are wondering.)

"non-working" fire hydrant

They even provided poop bags.

riding to Narita on the "prison bus"

our good little traveler- just the beginning of our journey

inside view of bus

I was so happy to have one last Cherry Blossom Frappucino at Narita before we left!

Brother's hamburg lunch
Last one- a very tired and delirious little girl on the last plane to Narita.  Almost home!
Now I will get back to my spring cleaning- so good to be home!!


  1. That cherry blossom drink looks yummy! I'm going to have to search Okinawa to see if they serve that here!

  2. Oh it is! I hope you can find one!

  3. Thank you SO much for all the PCSing tips on my post! I can tell you've done it a lot! It will be our first move together- this should be interesting! You sure do seem like an experienced traveler- I can't believe you did 48 hours of traveling with two kids and a dog by yourself- you're one brave lady! Also, I'm guessing that Cherry Blossom frap. can't be found in the states? It sounds sooo good. :)

  4. You are most welcome! I was going to say if you are brace enough, move yourself. You will make money. And since you will pack your own stuff- you will get rid of more things and the boxes will be organized the way you want them. I have had some bad experiences with movers- losing an breaking things. We were able to move ourself from Arizona to Florida- we had one kid, a dog and a cat. It was the easiest move ever. Since we got into housing the day we got there, we moved right in. And since we had our stuff already we slept in our own beds that night. One of our new neighbors brought all the teenagers out to unload the U-Haul. I didn't have to lift a finger.
    I am sorry but I do believe the Cherry Blossom Frap is unique to Japan, sorry! You'll have to get orders out here next time. :)


Talk to me!