Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cults, Cameras, Cantankerous Posts, and InCarceration

Hello!  As you can see, I love me some alliteration.  Life seems to be going in all sorts of directions, luckily it has mostly been good!  I am a wee bit superstitious so I won't make predictions and say if this is going to be a good year- because that had bombed on me the last two years.  I just plan on taking it day by day.  You know- "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

I have had some luck this year, which has surprised the heck out of me.  I won a $200 gift certificate to New Sanno, I won a Coach wristlet bag, I won a lamp, and I have won a brand new PS3.  We used the gift certificate the weekend before last and had a great time, I'll try to post some pictures soon.  Because of the PS3, Hubby and I have a new TV in our bedroom.  You see, we ALREADY owned a PS3, so we needed a TV for the bedroom.  But it's ok, I can now watch movies in my room, that makes me a little happy.  Anyhoo- I have tried that luck out at Bingo, so far nothing- but I haven't given up yet.

What does that have to do with my blog title?  Well- nothing, sorry.  I know you are curious as to what I means by cults?  Well, I decided to drink the "Kool-aid".  Next week I start CrossFit.  And I have to say I am terrified!  I just know I am going to look like the biggest wimp and be the most out of shape person to ever grace their presence!  Several of my friends have been on me since last summer to join.  Out of one side of their mouth they would say how wonderful it is, and out of the other side, they would talk about how they were dry-heaving during a work-out, or how they were falling down stairs because they were so sore. I kept meeting more and more people that were on the CrossFit wagon and I was convinced they were in a cult and refused over and over to join (even though a part of me was saying "do it do it!") Another friend of mine joined in January, and she already looks fantastic!  That had me sold, so I set the date for March.  Wish me luck.  If I don't ever post again, it will be because I died.

Cameras!  or I should say camera.  If you have been an avid reader of my blog (isn't everyone one? *giggle*)  , you will know I have been dreaming and dreaming of a DSLR.  Last weekend I finally got one!!  I felt really guilty asking Hubby if he would mind buying one with our tax return funds, but he was all for it.  I even ended up buying the pricier model.  I LOVE IT!!  Now I just need to learn how to use it.  Obviously I can "use" it, since it has the wonderful automatic mode for non-knowers like me- but I have been reading about apertures and shutter speeds and want it all to make sense!  I ordered what I think will be the most beautiful camera bag from Epiphanie.  It was pricey, but seeing how I have NO camera bag, I went for it.  I ordered the grey, since I can't afford to buy another one should I get tired of pink or turquoise.
Isn't it beautiful?  It even will fit a MacBook in it.  I don't have one, but it's good to know...

Cantankerous posts...  I am referring to Facebook.  I know, one year ago I gave up Facebook (but that mostly because I was hooked on Farmville).  But it seems that Facebook is the way we all communicate these days and how I keep in touch with my friends.  It gives me a certain amount of pleasure to laugh at funny posts or pictures, and to hear good news.  There is also sad news from time to time- I found out a guy I went to high school with had passed away just before his 39th birthday.  Seeing how we are military- Facebook has improved my life in that I am able to reconnect with long lost friends- that is a good thing in  my book.  But there is also a down side, and I need to just learn to move on.  Some people insist on posting every single aggravation in their life!  Every. one.  I feel like screaming at all the "FML" posts.  I am not going to say that what the person in question is experiencing is "not that bad" (although I do feel that way at times)- but is it really necessary to post it ALL?  I have been guilty of the bitching and whining on FB, I do admit that (and now I reserve that for my blog post- ha!)  But I came to the realization that it serves little purpose- unless it is something friends can help with- thereby making it a "productive" rant.  Now- some people are just funny when they rant- that doesn't bother me.  A little snarkiness and sarcasm go a long way, I always say.  (No, I really don't say that- but it works for some people.)  Have you read Snarky in the Suburbs http://snarkyinthesuburbs.com/?   She has a Facebook page as well- I double heart love her!  She IS snarky, but it works for her.  My complaint is about the ones that get all worked up the minute life doesn't work the way they want it to.  Ok- I digress....

InCarceration - no I am not going to jail.  But a guy I went to elementary school with IS in jail.  He was a very  very popular guy on campus and quite the ladies man, back in the say.  We "went out" for maybe two weeks in the 6th grade, before he dumped me for someone else.  I was devastated, but I got over it.  I think he went to my junior high as well, but fell into a bad crowd and I didn't see much of him after 7th grade.  In high school I found out he had been sent to jail for manslaughter.  He shot at someone's feet with a gun and the bullet ricocheted off the ground and ended up killing that person.  At least that is what I heard.  Anyway- one of the girls that went to same school "found" him.  She had thought he was dead (I was pretty sure he was in jail.)  Come to find out, prisoners can get onto Facebook!  He is serving a life sentence for manslaughter, but can still get on the internet.  I mentioned that fact to a fellow Navy-wife friend and her reply was "Oh- that's nice. Our husbands can't get on Facebook on the ship- but prisoners can!"  She has a point, ladies and gentlemen.  Not only did my fellow classmate "find" this guy- but she even suggested through Facebook that I be "friends" with him.  She must have sent the same suggestion to him, because he sent me a friend request.  I doubt he even remembers me, I really do.  Morbid curiosity took control and I did peek at his page (it is not private).  I even considered "friending" him.  Some of my old classmates did, but not a lot.  I don't have anything to say to him, so I am not going to do it ("friend" him on FB).  I feel a little mean, like there is a slight chance I am hurting his feelings.  But he IS in PRISON!  What would YOU do?

I will wrap this up with a picture of my dog Brownie- taken with my new camera (Canon Rebel T2i).

She is getting all grey on her chin!  I love her to pieces, even though she has taken to eating food off the counter whenever we leave the house (bread, cake, butter, crackers....)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!